Monday, June 13, 2005

New York Style Cheesecake

Stick-to the-roof-of-your-mouth-capabilities: that's New York Style Cheesecake . It is pure, unadulterated cheesecake with no fancy ingredients added either to the cheesecake or placed on top of it. It's made with pure cream cheese, cream, eggs, and sugar, writes Linda Stradley at her web site What's Cooking America.I was first introduced to Turf's cheesecake when they were shipping from 85th street and York avenue in Manhattan. Didn't have to go across town to get the cake at their restaurant since I lived at 83rd and East End. I think they made the quintessential stick-to-the-roof of your mouth cheesecake. I remember that there was no crust on the ones I ate, but I don't know if that is NY style, or Turf's variation.

Long after I left the city, my brother would occasionally send me one. Always had to be the plain vanilla type cheesecake, nothing added.

An occasional NY cheesecake is not enough. Somewhere along the way I found this recipe and started making my own. It makes a bunch of cheesecake. This recipe is as close to Turf's as you can get.

1 comment:

Economist said...

Turf Cheesecake (the original, which I ate at Turf's Restaurant on Braodway in the 1950's) had no sour cream.