Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Tuna and Olive Salad

As a kid I remember my mom's frequent tuna salad. Open can and over load with Kraft Miracle Whip. I've eaten this same recipe countless times in restaurants, or the stuffed tomato variation. Never knew there was another way, that is until I saw Sara Moulton's Tuna and Olive Salad Sandwich on FoodTV/Gourmet. It's tuna salad with tasty zip... and only 1/4 cup of mayo.

Click on the title to get Sara's recipe, tho' I've modified it a little. I like roasted peppers - charring the skin, letting the pepper steam in a closed container for 10 minutes and peeling. Then remove the core and veins and finely chop. Recipe calls for 1/2 cup but I use the entire pimento along with the juices, about one tablespoon. I think the peeled pepper adds a smoother flavor.

Sara calls for mayo. I like Hellmann's rich flavor. Make sure you use Kalamata olives, not the bland California type. I use any bread or eat it right out of the bowl. Can't go wrong.

Click here or the title to get the recipe.

No comments: