Saturday, January 28, 2006

Minestrone

As noted in earlier jottings, one of my honey's kitchen things is making soup - comfort food - during the frosty months. Of course, it has to be good for you. So, my first pick is minestrone laden with fresh veggies in home made chicken stock.

When we married in the 70's, I brought to the table my collection of cookbooks, including the Time/Life books published in the '60's called Foods of The World. I recently raved about the flan recipe from this series.

I've never been a soup maker, so my sweety fills the gap nicely with a delicious bunch of soups, minestrone and borscht. The minestrone recipe is generous enough for us empty nesters to enjoy for several meals.....and like a good boeuf bourguinon, the flavors get better with time.

Note: she ignores all the stuff about slicing or dicing and lets the food processor do it ... only difference is aethestics.

If you do not have/make your own chicken stock get a box of low sodium stock, place the contents in a pot, along with a handful of chopped onion, chopped celery and carrots. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 min. Voila! Homemade chicken stock.

And toss the green can of parmesan. Pop for Regianno Parmesano and grate your own. The difference is worth it.

Click the heading to get this delicious soup.

No comments: