Monday, March 06, 2006

Vinyl Restoration

About 6 months ago I wrote about record restoration and trying to correct alot of youthful indiscretions of abuse on vinyl recordings. Well, the learning curve has been a steep one. Thought I had restored about two dozen or so. But was frustrated with an album a friend wanted me to restore.

Put it aside for a couple of months and returned to the challenge at the beginning of the year. Not a New Year's resolution but a determination to get the job done and git 'er done right. In the ensuing months I did more research and study on record restoration.

Also, visited the online forum site of the software. Enhanced Audio's forum is not a large one but has many knowledgable users who are willing for others to succeed. There have been instances where they will take a small snippet of a troublesome file, restore it and return the snippet explaining each step and why.

One of the tricks I learned during my hiatus from the frustration was a tool in the program that reverses the file. A filter is run to remove the clicks and pops before and after reversing the file. Seems that reversing the file removes some of the nasties that could not be found without the process.( It is also pointed out that if you listen to the track in reverse you might discover any nefarious messages. I believe the Beatle's Abbey Lane was supposed to be imbedded with messages.)
¿Quien sabe?

I not only finished the album for the friend but successully restored some particulary troublesome albums that I would not play on a turn table because the pops and clicks were tooooo distracting. Now the challenge will be to finish the other 350 + albums.

No comments: