Sunday, January 02, 2005

Black-eye peas and ham hocks

My true New Years Day treat was a day late this year because of tooooo many things to do. My wife Mary Ann hails from Alabama (note the polysyllabic first name and monosyllabic second name and therefore has all the credentials) and is a true southerner. Annually she makes a mess of black-eye peas and ham hocks on 1/1. One of the few things in life that is a constant, or was until 1/1/2005. But worth every minute to wait for the best.

Many years ago, I spirited my bride from the land of cotton, bought a lot of warm clothes for layers and headed to the tundra. Just north of Milwaukee. In the ensuing years, black-eye peas have taken on a decided yankee flavor, no more fatback or lard - too hard on the arteries, cut down on the salt, added bay leaves. The end result though, is the liking of the entire family, mostly MA and me since the kids have long flown away.

It is a delight looking forward to.

No comments: