Thursday, January 20, 2005

Lasagna

Many years ago while living in New York City, I came across a recipe for lasagna that to me was the quintessential lasagna. The recipe by Ed Giobbi was in the NY Times. Ed Giobbi in the 60's was already a well known chef in the area. Perhaps his fame was more widely known than just NYC. I'd never heard of him. Click here to get his recipe.

I love this meal. Great flavors, a rich creamy sauce with freshly made marinara sauce. The marinara sauce is an enrichment to the Basic Tomato Sauce I published here.

For years this was my only lasagna. Good for breakfast, snacking or after school.

Then about a year ago one of our local restaurateurs, Sandy D'Amato published his recipe for lasagna in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Sandy and his restaurant Sanford's have been recognized as one of the leading chefs and eateries in the Midwest. And that is way too modest.

However, now we are torn between Ed's and Sandy's. When I make one I have to make the other for a taste test. And since there are only two of us to enjoy the rewards of these two giant stars in the kitchen, a serving of 12 will last a couple of days.

The two recipes are dramatically different. Read 'em both. Giobbi's has a rich cream sauce. D'Amato's has lots of Italian cheeses. Giobbi's recipe has been around more than 40 years. D'Amato's was published about a year ago. It's his family recipe.

Click for D'Amato's recipe. Try both. Let me know.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurrah for Ed Giobbi's lasagna.....years ago while living in the Washington DC area, I made this recipe, somehow obtained from a James Beard article or book......it was superb, never forgotten lasagna...now, years later, I searched for that recipe in my files, and then online and was thrilled to find it.......thank you so much for printing it....I will also try Sandy's, one of these days.....now living in the country in the midwest, some of his ingredients are less readily available to me (the mascarpone is only found in the "big city")....I will change and adapt a bit on the Giobbi recipe, as I always do, but the basic meat and cheese and tomato sauce played against the bechamel sauce stays the same and is incomparable, in my mind, salute!!! Brenda

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this recipe! I lost my cookbook that had originally introduced me to this fabulous lasagna so I am so happy to have the recipe once again. It really is the best, by the way. I know Giobbi later came out with a low fat version but it is not nearly as yummy.

Caroline

Joe said...

I just found an old, battered-up copy of Ed Giobbi's lasagne recipe. Do you have any idea when it was published? I can't find any mention of it on the New York Times website.

Is the lasagne really that good? I will have to try it.

Anonymous said...

I'm only 5 years behind, but have to comment. I cut the recipe from a newspaper when it was published. I taped it onto 3x5 cards. When I got divorced in 1986 I couldn't find it. My ex gave it to me a few years ago, but some of the paper had rotted away. I loved the recipe and tried to find it on the web, but must have spelled Giobbi wrong. I finally decided to throw away what was left of the recipe tonight but gave the web another chance, this time correcting my spelling. I can't wait to try it again.

Unknown said...

Yea for Ed Giobbi and his lasagne. The recipe was published to my recollection in the New York Times Magazine sometime in the
1970s, possibly the 1960s. Because of its many steps,I've made this recipe just a few times over the years, and mostly for very special occasions. It's always a huge hit and is just the best lasagne I've ever tasted. I did run into Ed Giobbi sometime in the 1980s. He was a recognized artist as well as a chef and some of his work was being exhibited at the Hudson River Museum. When I told him how much I enjoyed his lasagne recipe, he said he now made the dish with the new "no-boil" lasagne noodles. I still make it the old way. In one of my moves I lost the clipping from the Times and had to search the internet for his recipe...but there it was. I place this lasagne recipe right up there with Julia Childs' Boeuf Bourguignon.

Anonymous said...

another thank you for publishing ed giobbi's recipe. i had searched for decades and remembered it as one of my absolutely favorite recipes. i do easy ones now from bottled sauce and no boil noodles but will try giobbi's again. thank you blogger, thank ed and thanks for the computer where all lost things may be found again ala babbette's feast.