Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Pretzels

Can't have homebrew without the accompanying nibblers. Since I get the Home Brew Digest delivered via email daily, I am the recipient of one mighty fine recipe. Jeff Renner, one of the homebrewers who is also a commercial baker, posted this recipe some time ago. Can't go wrong using a pretzel recipe from a commercial baker who is also a homebrewer.

Shortly after reading about the pretzels, I found the salt that seems to be a requirement for pretzels. Unfortunately, the next ingredient, lye, took me a little longer to find. At about the same time I found the lye, FoodTV had a show about pretzels and suggested baking soda as the ingredient of choice.

Jeff's original recipe called for 2 tablespoons yeast and a rise of 30 minutes. I decided to use 1 tablespoon instant yeast and let rise for one hour, which is similar in time and quantity for some of my other flour recipes. I also cut the amount of sugar in half; first batch was kinda sweet for me.

He suggests using siliconed parchment paper. Spraying the baking sheet with a food grade non-stick spray works equally as well. I also use a large dutch oven so I can boil five or six at a time.

Click here to get the recipe.

Easy to do and a treat when you are quenching your thirst.

No comments: