Saturday, April 24, 2010

This Ain't Your Mothers Meatloaf

Mom thought that her meatloaf was pretty good. By whose standards, only she can answer. Hamburger, salt and pepper, crushed crackers, eggs and ketchup were about the only ingredients. But then, I'm sure Mom had no patent on that recipe. And in SE Wisconsin in winter there was a use for the hockey pucks that were dropped onto our plates. Ever since then I have avoided any kind of meatloaf. Even upon the insistence of my Sweetie that we (read I) should come up with a recipe.

About a month ago I saw a recipe for Spicy, Garlicky Meatloaf in the NY Times. Now almost anything with garlic gets my attention. Plus not only ground beef but also ground pork, scallions, bread crumbs and the usual salt and pepper. But there is more to this savory dish. Sage, pine nuts and a chopped jalapeƱo. Easy to put together, bakes in a little more than an hour. And left overs never get out of the house.

Joy in mudville, again. Click the title for the recipe.

No comments: