Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Online Choices For Paying

Recently, I read an article by the author of The Haggler, David Segal, about PayPal's 'annoying demand to be "verified" by handing over their bank account information'. I ran into the same situation when I started using PayPal for customers buying my software program My Class Reunion. I thought it was a requirement so I signed up. The more I read and thought about that situation, it became evident to me that giving up all that info to PayPal was foolish. Shortly thereafter I became unverified.

To be clear, this was on the purchasing side not the receiving side of transactions with PayPal. Which meant that PayPal requires some security to collect their money. A credit card satisfies that requirement.

I also ran into an annoying part of the PayPal club. As sales on the software started to take place the money accumulated into my PayPal account. As PayPal expanded their services and many sites started including the PayPal option to pay along with traditional credit cards I would then use that 'surplus' to make payments.

On a recent purchase PayPal was the choice for payment. The order was only partially filled and the item received was not operating according to the marketing pitch. After waiting a couple of weeks and no action for a refund, I contacted PayPal thinking that they would get in touch with the seller just as any credit card would. They quickly informed me that they would only send an email to the seller and any other resolution would be up to me. They said they only come to the aid of the buyer if seller is one of their sister companies like eBay.

Made that mistake once. If there are any questions/concerns with a seller, Visa and MasterCard will go to bat for you, issue credit and then deal with the seller, unlike PayPal. PayPal seems to be expanding its presence with sellers. Caveat emptor! If protection after the sale is important, choice wisely.


No comments: