Friday, October 29, 2010

Smokin'

Been smokin' ribs, chickens, turkeys, briskets and all kinds of meats for several years. Recently I added an indoor cooker/smoker. Smoked/cooked a couple of Cornish hens and some chicken quarters. Used apple chips indoors. The aroma and taste of the poultry is something to behold, er taste. Outstanding!

Many years ago after The Ohio State University and I could not determine what they wanted me to accomplish, I joined the army. Specifically, for a unit in Germany. Didn't matter where. Unfortunately, I had to relinquish the assignment when I applied for OCS. At that time the Army did not need many gold bars. However, I was assigned to a unit in SW Germany. Lucky me. Two years, good duty, little work and great beer. There is no bad beer in Germany.

Subsequently, since I have been brewing I heard about a smoked beer brewed in the city where I was originally assigned, Bamberg. It is called Rauchbier. For a long time I could not get my mind around a smokey beer. Then a German expat, Horst Dornbusch, wrote about his experience of making Rauchbier. What intrigued me was his description of the taste not so much as smokey but that of smoked bacon.

As we speak, um write, I am brewing my first Rauchbier. When the requisite amount of heated water was added to the grains creating the mash, the most wonderful smoked bacon aroma filled my nostrils. It will take a couple more hours to complete the brew, then 14 days of fermentation and another 30 days to condition. Christmas sounds like a good time to start enjoying my first attempt.

Will let you know. If you are in the area, stop in for a taste. I'm hopin' that the time will heal my hurt from the Yankees and Buckeyes. C'est la Vie!

No comments: